Regardless of the many tools that are now available for artists to market themselves, many of them still want to be signed to a record label. One of the main reasons is the marketing support a record label can provide. This is why it is essential to know the tactics involved in marketing your artists and your record label effectively. See how the underground band Krewella earned a record deal with Sony, performing all over the United States, using several record label marketing strategies.
Record Label Marketing Using Social Media
Krewella recognized social media as a powerful tool for marketing themselves. They began their debut last summer when their social media numbers increased rapidly, earning them a spot on the Next Big Sound chart.
Here are a few social media marketing strategies (inspired by the Krewella case study) you can use to grow your label or artists:
• Use Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets or websites to offer live albums for free. Krewella used their Facebook and SoundCloud accounts to offer free downloads in exchange for likes or shares. After releasing their music, their Facebook “likes” increased 160% from only a month before because they required people to “like” their page in order to “unlock” the free downloads.
• Post videos of interviews and live performances on YouTube. The interviews in particular will help grow your artist’s fan base. Krewella has an intimate relationship with their fans because they allow fans to see who the band is behind the scenes, just as an interview does, through their webisode series called Krewlife. This, in combination with other marketing strategies, initially helped them gain 7,000 new Facebook “likes,” which was triple the amount they had just the previous month. In addition, the band earned an average of 285 new followers on Twitter every week.
• Release acoustic versions of songs and provide free downloads to encourage the sale of studio renditions. Krewella used SoundCloud to publish different versions of their songs, particularly remixes. As a result, their music went from an average of 5,500 plays per day to about 75,000 per day.
• Get your artists to assist in marketing themselves and your record label through their own sites and social medial outlets. Krewella manages their own social media accounts. The band members are usually just responding to posts and joking around, but most importantly, they are being themselves, which also helps to grow the band’s relationship with their fans.
Record Label Marketing: Krewella’s Success
After using the strategies mentioned above, Krewella earned over 133,000 plays on SoundCloud, which was 665% higher than what they gained a year before. Now, a year later, the band has an average of over 2,000 new Twitter followers per week, almost a half-million total Facebook “likes,” over 10 million SoundCloud spins, and 14 million views on their YouTube channel.
Entertainment Marketing is a process that includes many facets of marketing. It includes the different aspects of traditional marketing that we see every day. Some of these aspects include sports marketing, branding, public relations, endorsements, digital marketing, and social media marketing.
You see entertainment marketing is not limited to one specific method; it is a form of marketing that includes many different strategies and techniques. People will utilize marketing platforms to create exposure for up and coming stars in the entertainment world, including actors, independent film directors, fashion designers, and music artists, these platforms include fashion marketing, film promotion, and social media marketing. Marketing in general allows all these professions to reach out and connect to their target audience. It is necessary to stay up to date with various marketing techniques if you wish to stay competitive in the entertainment industry and reach the next level of success and exposure. Overall these sorts of techniques will allow you to expose oneself and connect with their respective audience.
How does one perform Entertainment Marketing?
There is a variety of strategies when it comes to practicing entertainment marketing. Typical techniques that are used for marketing include endorsements, media coverage, and branded products. These methods are still in use today, but digital media marketing and social media marketing are now becoming the focus for modern marketing techniques.
The process to carry out this type of marketing usually starts with identifying a set of goals as well as brainstorming ideas on how to meet those goals and market your brand. After setting goals we would start to produce the tools necessary to meet those goals. These tools include setting up a brand identity, reaching out to prospective audiences, creating the social media regarding our brand. After we have everything in place we would launch all our set tools and begin reaching out to our audience and making a name for you. It is important for that you know your goals and connect on a deeper more personal level with your target audience in order to be successful.
Entertainment Marketing Success Stories
Examples of inventive entertainment marketing date back through the last century, but there are some recent examples that attest to the power of marketing, specifically in social media. One example that occurred over a decade ago was the marketing campaign and film promotion of the movie: Blair Witch Project. Blair Witch Project created a website for their movie that included ambiguous details about the movie that made you question whether the movie and mythology behind it was real or not. It was backed by realistic photos and short clips that made viewers think the story of the Blair Witch Project was real. Even back in 1999 the movie’s website and method of film promotion went viral and marketing campaign was a huge success. For more information on film promotion check out our article on The Art of Film Promotion.
Another success story that was the result of great entertainment marketing was Barack Obama’s campaign in 2008. Barack Obama was able to get young adults and younger people to vote through the power of social media. He tapped into the major social mediums including millions of Facebook fans, a strong YouTube presence, and a vast emailing and text message chain. This utilization of digital marketing was crucial to Obama’s campaign success and is a prime example of successful social media marketing.
Hiring a Entertainment Marketing Company
If you’re like most people in the entertainment business, trying to lay out an intricate entertainment marketing plan could seem too big of a task to accomplish alone. The marketing of your brand can consume a lot of time and is essential to your own brand’s success and exposure
It may interest you to hire a marketing company such as VERVE Management to help out with your current marketing team or take over and manage the whole entertainment marketing process. We encourage this because we can guarantee positive exposure and results from our team of specialists who will bring success and exposure for your brand.
Schedule a Free Phone Consultation with VERVE Management
If you are interested in hiring an entertainment marketing company like VERVE Management, we would be happy to provide you with a free phone consultation to discuss your business goals and explain our services in more detail. VERVE Management has executed marketing for independent films and marketing campaigns for various companies. We debuted our marketing campaign for Hennessy Cognac in which we utilized interactive social media visualization that added a thrilling and fresh element to the event that really immersed the guests. Check out the link below to learn more about the Hennessy Cognac event.
So you have completed the finishing touches on your film, and you are pretty happy with how it came out, but one question remains, how do you market your film? Well this article will give you the basic guidelines on how to market a film. There are many ways to approach marketing your film, depending on the scale of your production you may want to make a pitch at a network, corporation or a producer. It is important when making a pitch you know who your audience is and make a pitch in the correct context. For example, you would not make a pitch about a comedy film to a company that is known for its dramatic films.
Another great strategy on how to market a film is to take advantage of free and local media outlets. For example, try submitting your film to a local news site, newspaper or other media outlet coupled with photos, trailers, and information about the film. This is a great method because you can reach a specific target audience that is interested in your content; also local outlets are not as competitive and more likely to publish about localized productions and filmmakers.
Basic Tips on How to Market a Film
An important tip on how to market a film is knowing your production’s identity and audience. You should not try to appeal to many audiences, but rather pick a target audience and market yourself appropriately. Consider your genre (comedy, romance, horror etc.) Look at the main concepts of your film and imagine yourself as a consumer and think about what it is about the film that is drawing you in. Knowing these things is vital to know how to market a film.
A great tip on how to market a film is using media on the internet, but not in the obvious social network way which you should be utilizing anyway. Using respective blogs on the internet that pertain to your genre and business is a great way to get your productions name out there. You can look at popular articles on blog sites and see what authors and journalists would be interested in your film. From here you can send them an email about your production along with a trailer and some basic information. Maybe they’ll find it interesting and write about it. Lastly one quick tip that can be useful is talk to other people in the industry that can also provide advice on how to market a film, and see what works for you.
If you want to learn even more about how to market a film and other tips, check out our article about “The Art of Film Promotion”.
Schedule a Free Phone Consultation with VERVE Management
If you are interested in hiring a company that can teach you how to market a film like VERVE Management, we would be happy to provide you with a free phone consultation to discuss your business goals and explain our services in more detail. VERVE Management has executed marketing for independent films and large film studios. Our most recent film was Lion’s Gate Entertainment’s WARRIOR, which was nominated for an OSCAR this year. Go to the following link for more information
Film promotion is an art that is vital to any production, small or large, big time productions or small time indie filmmakers. Film promotion is an art that is nearly as vital as the actual making and filming of a production. When done right film promotion allows you to reach audiences you would never have thought was possible. Thus, you build your fan base and have a higher potential for success. Film promotion is even more important when it comes to small independent film makers who may not acquire any press at all without some effective promoting and marketing. While the idea of film promotion may seem costly; the art of film promotion is ultimately necessary to be competitive in our modern time where everyone has access to the tools of success.
Different Techniques of Film Promotion
Film promotion in our modern time now more than ever has many techniques that can be used to promote your film. One technique of film promotion that is popular is trailers which are often a short and condensed version of the film and what you can expect if you decide to go see the full film. Trailers are effective because of its succinctness and easy to follow video format. Other techniques consist of, TV advertisements, billboards, print and media advertisements etc. Once again these techniques may turn some people away because they often require large budgets which not everyone has access to, especially independent and small time productions.
The good news is that you don’t always need deep pockets to promote your film and get it some visibility. With the advent of social media there is now tons of free and simple ways to promote your film and other productions. There are the obvious social mediums such as Twitter, Facebook, and Google + which are effective when used correctly. It is important when you promote and market your film through these social networks you know what is effective. By this I mean identify your goals and what specifically about your content are people enjoying and being drawn to and take advantage of that. Also, another good tip on how to market your film is through YouTube which when geared towards the right audience and exposed in the right way can be very successful.
If you are interested in Independent Film Marketing check out our article about “Essential Tips on How to Market your Film”
Getting Help with Your Film Promotion
The managing and actual execution of these techniques for film promotion do require a lot of time and commitment, some film makers may not have the amount of time needed. Despite that proper film promotion through social media is a necessary way to expose your productions and compete in this day and age.
Utilizing a company such as VERVE Management to provide help or provide a full marketing plan for your film is a great decision to help bring your production to the next level of exposure. If you choose to outsource your film promotion to VERVE you will be able to focus on your personal productions and let VERVE bring your productions exponential exposure.
Schedule a Free Phone Consultation with VERVE Management
If you are interested in hiring a film promotion company like VERVE Management, we would be happy to provide you with a free phone consultation to discuss your business goals and explain our services in more detail. VERVE Management has executed marketing for independent films and large film studios. Our most recent film was Lion’s Gate Entertainment’s WARRIOR, which was nominated for an OSCAR this year. Go to the following link for more information
- Develop an Online Brand Identity (OBI)At VERVE Management we’ve developed something proprietary for our fashion clients called an Online Brand Identity (OBI). It’s important that you create one for your company, as well. An OBI is a document that lays out the personality of your brand. The idea is to take your core brand and product offering and build out all of the various elements that make up your brand. You want your brand online to jump off the screen as a living, breathing person with all these various colors and facets to its personality. This will help you transition from a 2-dimensional into a 3-dimensional brand online which will go a long way in building a meaningful community that actually follows your brand online and feels something positive towards it. In your OBI document, you should write down the tone of your brand’s “online voice,” what genre of music it likes, what genre of movies it watches, whether it’s political or not, what pop culture icons it follows, who it’s heroes are, it’s favorite hobbies, etc. You have to really get imaginative with this and be creative. You are bringing your brand to life after all! This is the biggest challenge business owners have when developing a successful fashion marketing strategy.
- Develop a Fashion Marketing Editorial Calendar Once you’ve planned out your brands personality, the next step in developing your fashion marketing strategy is to create a fashion marketing editorial calendar. Set a weekly schedule where you plan to consistently share content. You have to be consistent. After all, if you don’t put time into your “relationship” with people online, they won’t put time back into your brand either. When creating your fashion marketing editorial calendar, use a simple online calendar management site and add an entry for each day of the week you plan to share content. You should also plan what content you’ll share that day. Use your personality elements in your OBI to inform your content. Share movies your brand likes, music artists that inspire your brand, favorite quotes, heroes, and of course promote your company and products/services. You want to strike a balance in promoting and sharing other content. The fashion marketing editorial calendar will help with that.
- Grow Your Audience Unfortunately, I can’t dive into detail on how to grow your audience, as that alone would take up dozens of articles. I can give you advice on how to approach this task. A great first step is for you to research “influencers” and “innovators” in your industry, reach out to those people, and partner with them. You can provide them with free samples of your product to review or include them on a contest your having. The idea is to get them to promote your product/service/promotion to their online following which will in turn expose your online profiles to all of their existing followers!Another great step is to speak at events, guest author posts on other blogs, or hold and promote webinars/seminars!You can also go the guerilla marketing route and start posting/commenting on other pages/groups/etc. that have people who would be potential clients of your company. Taking part in conversations on these other pages, without blatantly promoting your company, will integrate you into the broader community and introduce you to a great deal of new people.
- Track, Track, Track Your Results! Once you have your OBI and fashion marketing editorial calendar in place, the next step is to begin sharing content and tracking your results! There are social media analytics tools you can use to track how people respond to your content. You want to keep track of what content gets the most “likes”, the most “re-tweets”, the most “shares” and “comments.” Tracking your progress will inform you about your audience and what content is important to them. The more data you analyze, the more intimately familiar you will become with your market. This will inform your fashion marketing strategy as well as inform all other aspects of your business!
Schedule a Free Phone Consultation with VERVE Management
If you are interested in hiring a fashion marketing company like VERVE Management, we would be happy to provide you with a free phone consultation to discuss your business goals and explain our services in more detail.
To schedule a free phone consultation with VERVE Management, call 888-699-2189 or email info[at]vervemgmt.com.